Monday, April 14, 2008

New Amsterdam Finale

Well, New Amsterdam's over now. I'm not certain, but I'm suspicious that Fox Network has no intention whatsoever of making a second season. To be honest, I don't think they ever did (I think they were embarrassed that they paid for someone to make the first season). But whatever, I wouldn't mind if they let it keep going (read as: I would probably keep watching it). Overall, it was pretty decent.

Structurally, I think I kind of liked it. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but I'm not really a fan of police investigations, so I liked that there was a lot more to the show than that. I liked the period piece interludes, where Amsterdam is invariably seducing/falling in love with another woman. I think they typically worked pretty well and helped to give him a reason to care (since he always seems to care).

I wasn't really into the side plot with him finding the woman of his dreams. The most interesting thing, for me though, was how he simply tossed her aside when he found out it wasn't her (which makes his getting shot in her presence a no-win situation for her: either he dies because she made him lose his immortality or he dumps her because she didn't). In his defense, he can't waste his time on the wrong girl since he believes that the right one must have been present when he had his heart attack. Still, it was surprisingly heartless and cruel of him. I appreciated it.

It did suck that she never believed him when he told her he was 400 years old. I gotta be honest, but that should have been his first clue that she wasn't the right one. I mean, would you want to be with someone who denies that, like, 90% of your life ever happened? Of course not. I have no idea why he put up with her for so long (okay, fine, she was kind of hot).

As for his partner, I'm not sure how I feel about her. She's decently hot, and she's got a pretty kick ass attitude and a swagger about her that's certainly fun to watch (not in a dirty way, mind you). I just don't know what purpose she serves. Admittedly, he basically works alone so she just tags along when he fills her in, so I think she has to wonder what her purpose is as well. But, I guess she fills the role of new comrade in his life who has to slowly be filled in on his history and personality so that the viewers can get caught up. But what happens after that point (which should have been the end of, about, episode four)? Well, we're still waiting.

Also, there's his new boss. She's definitely something. Probably more fun than him, actually. Only, where did she come from? I swear I never saw her introduction (or maybe I wasn't paying attention), but suddenly I started seeing her going around telling Amsterdam what to do and stuff (not that he ever listens to her). I guess she's Cuddy (I have no idea how to spell that name, weird) to his House...but that better not mean he's got some weird, contrived crush on her. That would make me sad, although it would be understandable.

Otherwise, this season ended just about how things are supposed to: back where we all started. Of course, that means that if they do make a second season, they're going to have to come up with a new plot, because the search for his "real" true love is going to get old pretty quick (ha, let's be honest, it was old from the beginning). And, besides, him actually finding his true love would be just about the worst thing that could happen to the show (because then he could die and that would take away the only thing that makes him special). So, I guess we'll just have to see if things ever get to go anywhere else. In any case, this show was way better than Journeyman. And that's all that matters.

That is all.

Francis

No comments: