Friday, August 24, 2007

On the Blog

So, yesterday I missed a post. It won't be the last time. Luckily, I had never gotten around to specifying what I wanted my post pattern to be. So, technically, I didn't really miss a post yesterday, because I had never specified that a post should have been expected (Yay for excuses!).

In any case, I am now specifying the post pattern that I intend to follow. The goal is 4 posts a week. Considering that most posts are between 500 and 1500 words, I think that's fair. I think my average post length should try to sit in the 800 words area (although, I don't intend to ever cut a post short due to length, my attention span isn't really guaranteed to hold out too much longer than that and neither is yours). So, yeah, I'm planning to be writing over 3000 words a week for the blog, which is not an insignificant quantity.

In general, expect a Monday-Thursday post schedule. If I'm feeling frisky, you might see posts on the occasional Sunday as well. Posts will always be posted on the day they are written, and will often have been started not much more than an hour prior to posting. This has pluses and minuses for all of us.

For me, it has the disadvantage that given a little while to separate myself from what I just wrote, I often find lots of changes I would like to make. You shouldn't like it because if I'm uninspired sometime, you're going to get a really weird, random post (hopefully funny...). Trust me, you'll know when it happens. You also shouldn't like it since it means that the writing quality is crap (of course, that's not any worse than the rest of the stuff on the Internet, so hopefully you won't notice).

The advantage is that, um, well...okay, there is no advantage.

Anyways, I intend to never do anything resembling research for my posts. Any topic I attack, I will have done the bare minimum necessary to have an opinion, let alone an informed one. I like it this way, because it means I can post faster and I am not willfully copying others' ideas. You shouldn't like it because it means I'll ALWAYS be talking out of my ass. Seriously, always.

As for the posts themselves, obviously they feature a variety of topics. Movies will probably be the most common topic, although I haven't decided how I necessarily want to approach those posts. I don't really like the idea of reviewing movies, because, I read a lot of movie reviews and that might constitute research. Also, I like the vast majority of the movies I see (mainly because I primarily am motivated to go out and see stuff I think I'll like), so odds are pretty good that if I'm talking about a movie at all, I liked it (Transformers is obviously an exception).

I wish I could do more posts about video games, but I'm just too far behind the curve. I'm kind of too cheap to buy very many games at full price, so the end result is that I don't play very many games when they come out, so basically any thoughts I do come up with will be a good 8-12 months out of date. Ironically, I recently bought a game the day it came out (Persona 3) and I still haven't gotten around to playing it because I'm wasting my time on some other JRPG that is total fluff and seriously not worth my time at all, but I make poor decisions like this all the time.

I'm not too sure what I'll be doing with music either. I definitely won't be doing reviews, but I guess I can use it to say nice things about Wilco (they're awesome, by the way). I'll also certainly use it to insult emo music, which should make me feel guilty (since it's kind of like drawing a mustache on a dude who's past out in his own puke... totally pointless, but cruel at the same time... and that was probably not my best analogy, but I didn't want to use beating a dead horse).

For reasons I don't totally understand, I haven't made a TV shows topic yet. I don't know why. I mean, what if I decide I want to examine the existential allegory behind House? What would I file that under? I don't know; it's decently random, but it's not a movie and there aren't any ninjas or pirates or Japanese schoolgirls. What if I wanted to talk about the best thing on children's television today (Avatar)? Okay, I guess I'd just file that one under Anime, but that's not the point (or maybe it is?).

But, so, yeah, that's what I envision for the blog. We'll have to just wait and see where it goes. I guess it's a little exciting for me, since I honestly don't know what I'll be posting about three days from now, but I guess that's why I started the blog in the first place. To write about pointless topics that came to mind (apparently, including the blog itself). I'll probably try to do more of these State of the Blog Address whenever the fancy hits or the need arises (for example, if I decided to reduce the posting schedule).

That is all.

Francis

No comments: